Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Quilted Baby Card

Good morning! I am running a little behind today - I have a tutorial I'd like to share with you along with today's card, so I've been editing my photos. Try as I might to work ahead, it just doesn't happen :)

Today is our DT challenge day for Serendipity Stamps, and today we were challenged to create a baby card.

Serendipity has a great selection of baby themed stamps, which you can find here in their store. I chose the Baby Carriage stamp to use for my card.


I also thought it would be fun to reinforce the baby theme by adding some quilted fabric to my card front, like a baby blanket, you know?

I took some step-by-step photos in case you would like to give it a try. It was easy, and I love the look and texture that it adds!

So here's what you'll need to do:

Step 1: Gather your materials. I used two pieces of fabric, each approximately 4-1/2 by 5-1/2 inches; a piece of cardstock measuring 3-1/2 by 4-1/2 inches, and some quilt batting.

Step 2: Sandwich the cardstock between the two pieces of fabric and stitch along three sides. Stuff the quilt batting into the open side.

Step 3: Stitch up the fourth side. Mark where you want to stitch the quilted pattern. I wanted to stitch a diagonal pattern, so I marked the centers of each of my sides with straight pins.

Step 4: Begin stitching your pattern, starting with opposite corners (top left to bottom right, etc). This creates a big 'X' design.

Step 5: Complete the stitching. I created the diamond quilted pattern by stitching from the center of each side to the center of the adjacent side.

Step 6: Use pinking shears to trim the excess material from the outer edges. Voila! You have just created a cute little quilted fabric piece to add to your card. Because you have a piece of cardstock in there, too, it helps to keep the fabric flat and makes it easy to adhere it to your card base. I just used Scor-Tape to add it right to the card front.

The baby carriage image was colored with Copics and then cut out. Again, I used Scor-Tape to adhere it to the fabric. I stamped the sentiment, tucked it behind the baby carriage and then finished it off with a stick pin (that has been in my stash for ages). Fun! I hope you enjoyed that little tutorial and I also hope you give this little technique a try!

Please be sure to visit the other Design Team members to see their take on the challenge!

Amy
Kathie
Lynda
Jenny (Guest Designer)


Don't forget to check the current contests on the Serendipity Stamps Blog and take some time to sign up for the newsletter (and sale announcements)!


Have a great day!

Anya

Recipe:
Stamps:
Baby Carriage, A New Addition - Serendipity Stamps
Cardstock: Vintage Cream - Papertrey Ink
Ink: Rich Cocoa Memento - Tsukineko; Antique Linen Distress Ink - Ranger Industries
Other: Polka Dot Fabric -
Moda Fabrics; Heart stick pin - Heidi Grace Designs; Purple Baker's Twine - Martha Stewart Crafts; Copic markers - Imagination International; pinking shears; quilt batting; sewing machine

11 comments:

  1. Wow that is so adorable! I just love the dimension the quilting adds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful card. I never thought of quilting a piece of material for a card. This gives me lots of ideas towards a shower gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is so awesome, Anya! What a great idea. By the way, happy birthday! I saw on the PTI forum that it's your bday today. It's my bday today too! :) I hope you have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is WONDERFUL Anya! So creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so sweet, Anya! LOVE the quilted fabric idea! genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anya, the addition of the quilt is sheer genius! I also love the muted colors. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This is so fabulously creative! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS IS TOOOOOO SWEET! I love the quilted background.... FAB idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this Anya.. How creative and a wonderful baby card... A quilt to match would be a perfect gift :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love to hear from you!