Thursday, July 29, 2010

Happy Foreverness

Hello, my dears!

I am really excited to share today's card with you. I love to pop through everyone's comments on the new Waltzingmouse releases, and I saw a few comments about the gothic window stamp that is part of Midnight Feast.

Well, the wheels started turning. Want to see what I came up with?

Has a very 'Going to the Chapel' feel, doesn't it? ;)

And because I love you all so much, I thought maybe you'd enjoy a step-by-step tutorial. I encourage you to try this technique - its fun, easy, and packs a punch.

You can click any of these pictures for a larger version, and all product information is listed at the end of the post.

Step 1: Stamp your windows. I stamped mine with white pigment ink and embossed them with Pastel embossing powder. It gives a pearly, textured look.

Here's a tip for stamping your windows side-by-side. Line up the two bottom corner stones and overlap the trim at the top - it helps to create a seamless line.

Step 2: Set your windows aside and gather your alcohol inks and a piece of acetate (I just use a transparency - purchased in the office supply store or borrowed from work). You will also need an ink applicator and applicator felt. You may have one of these applicators already for your blending foam and Distress Inks.

Step 3: Randomly apply alcohol ink to felt applicator. You really only need a few drops - a little goes a long way.

Step 4: Continue applying ink to applicator until you've used all the colors you want. I used six different colors, applying about 3-4 drops of each. No worries about the white spaces in between drops - it will all smoosh together.

Step 5: Now you want to 'stamp' the ink onto your acetate. Apply a little pressure, rotating the applicator to mix up the colors a bit. A little overlap is ok, but too much could leave your colors looking like you mixed red, green, blue and purple all together. Eww.

Step 6: Keep applying ink until you've covered up your entire piece of acetate. Set this aside and let it dry.

Step 7: While your acetate is drying, trim out your windows. Claire shared a great tutorial for cutting out the windows on her blog.

Step 8: Once you've got your windows cut out and your acetate is dry, adhere your windows to the acetate. I used a large piece of acetate so I could be a little fussy about where I put my windows. I just covered the back of my windows with adhesive and stuck it down.

Step 9: The last step is to trim the excess acetate from around your windows. I used a craft knife with enough pressure to just cut through the plastic.

That's it! FUN, huh (and not so spooky anymore, eh)? :)

So glad for your visit today, I hope you enjoyed the little tut! Have a great day, and feel free to ask if you have any questions!

#Anya

Recipe:
Stamps:
Midnight Feast, Fancy Phrases - Waltzingmouse Stamps
Cardstock: Sahara Sand - Stampin' Up!; White - Papertrey Ink; acetate transparency
Ink: Sahara Sand - Stampin' Up!; Currant, Lettuce, Cranberry, Meadow, Caramel, Eggplant Adirondack Alcohol Ink - Ranger
Other: Pastel Embossing Powder - JudiKins; Polka Dots Cuttlebug Embossing Folder - ProvoCraft; Apron Lace border punch - Fiskars; Silk ribbon - Papertrey Ink; vintage button

14 comments:

  1. Love this, your chapel windows are GORGEOUS and so clever! Your tutorial is so clear and complete, thanks for that! As much as I love this new release, I do not actually do much for Hallowe'en, but that window kept grabbing my attention! Now I know why! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this and the windows are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word: WOW!!! This is so creative and fabulously stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely beautiful, Anya! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever and pretty: I can so see this card as a wedding card or an easter card. Thanks for sharing your new take on the Halloween set!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've reached the opposite end of the spectrum with this card as compared to your "Dead of the Night" card. Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great tutorial, and a great effect, a really special wedding day card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Anya, this is just beautiful - thanks for teaching the trick, too - as the bright colors were not connecting in my brain! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just super Anya! love the stained glass windows - so pretty as a wedding card!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea! Halloween to wedding amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing tutorial, Anya! Thanks so much! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a FANTASTIC tutorial!
    You are brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love to hear from you!